The Coalition Manifesto
Submitted for your approval, but if you don’t like it, read the last sentence…
Whereas we, the Coalition of the Chillin’, think a lot of people are having a cow over this filibuster deal, we submit the following to our fellow Republicans, and Americans of other political stripes:
- it’s sometimes better to settle things in a bipartisan manner;
- we’re getting up and down votes on three very controversial appointees, and that’s three more than we had before this deal;
- the Republicans may want the filibuster preserved somewhere down the line;
- the media and the Democrats would have clubbed us to death if we went nuclear, and we don’t want a repeat of the ’98 midterms; and most importantly,
- Frodo and Bilbo both could have killed Gollum, but didn’t, and he ended up destroying the One Ring, proving for all eternity that restraint can be a very good thing, indeed.
However, being that we are, by definition, kind of chillin’, any of us, jointly or separately, preserves the right to filibuster any of these points as long as we don’t make an ‘extraordinary’ fuss about it.